Report from Group Leaders of Talbagicha and Rangametia Village


Ravinder Singh Guguloth, Group Leader from Rangametia village reports:

 I am very happy to be a part of NSS. As a volunteer, it was a great experience for me throughout the NSS course, interacting and understanding the society. In the first year of my course, we were assigned the work of surveying ration card, drinking water facilities. Convincing people was very difficult as they didn’t seem to believe in the government functionary or process. It seemed that there was a wide gap between the people and offices of the government. (However, exposure with villagers was limited as it was confined to weekly visits. There may be more than what was visible on surface on welfare activities taken up by Govt. offices.)

   As a group leader I tried my best to involve, all volunteers in the work every week. Our Program Officer, Saumen Hajra sir’s guidance has been very crucial. In the last semester our group had undertaken the activity of surveying sanitation facility and availability of caste certificates. Initially, we faced problem of conversation with people. We met Mr. Bapan Patra and Mr. Rajesh Das from Nehru Yuva Kendra and discussed about the activities to be undertaken. After having good suggestions from them we started the activity. By the end of the semester, we found that about 90% of the people don’t have caste certificate and proper sanitation. Most of them were interested in bathroom/latrine construction after being informed about the government policy but they were not believing in it. We discussed with Panchayat Pradhan of the village regarding the survey along with our Program officer. It is being written in the Grampanchayat Office that, 100% sanitation has been provided in the village but according to us it is not yet. (Panchayet office told that the villagers encashed the stuffs given to them or misused the money.)

    Caste certificate campaign was a great idea introduced recently, in which our group played a remarkable role. Our next initiative will be regarding sanitation. Most of the people don’t have ration card and deed (patta) for their land. I hope Rangametia will definitely become a MODEL village.


Mounika Ayila,  Group Leader from Talbagicha village reports:

I have been a part of National Service Scheme since my 1st year of study in IIT Kharagpur. It has been a great joy and experience working with it.Primarily, I was involved in working with my group members in BC Roy Hospital. Few of us were at the registration desk helping out people by taking them to their respective doctors and the others were at the parking area, ensuring unhindered parking. We did this voluntarily for a week.I personally prepared a “Respiratory System” model for a school exhibition held on 10th -12th February, 2011.

In my 2nd year, I have volunteered to be a group leader of our group and took up the responsibility. I have always tried my best to be dedicated and work with my group members who were well co-operative. We went to teach computers (MS Paint, MS Word) to students of classes 6-8 in Talbagicha High School on all Friday’s from (20-8-2011(Sat) to 09-09-2011) from 03:20 pm- 04:30 pm. I had a meeting with the School Principal and discussed about the problems faced by the school, which were show cased in the SDO meeting held on 03-09-2011. I was strongly involved in the happening of a skit on NSS Day, 29-10-2011. 

We collected medicines from Mother Teresa Hall of Residence and handed it over to BC Roy Hospital for their further and better usage. Apart from this I attended the Saturday meetings, NSS day celebrations, Guest lectures, NSS Rally, Leadership Skills and Decision Making Workshop.

From my childhood I had the passion of teaching. Now, the opportunity NSS gave me to share my knowledge especially with the poor children has filled my heart with enthusiasm, joy and happiness. This great step taken by NSS to higher the quality of education of these poor students is a blessing and this has been my greatest inspiration. I had a good relationship with the students which drove me off to school on every Friday. Those were the real “happy days” of my part in NSS and I would be looking forward to work in this area in my further stay in Kharagpur also. The feeling which I get during the working hours of my NSS work made me proud and happy. The guest lectures and interactive sessions were effective in practical life.

NSS is a very big social initiative taken up. My part in this is nothing but like a drop in the ocean. And recognizing this piece of work and wanting to bring it to limelight would encourage me. My dedication and responsibility can be awarded. But I always feel I could do more.


Comments