StudentSpeak : Part IV

Vinodhini C (Village : Balarampur; Program Officer : Dr. N. D. Pradeep Singh)

Initially, in my first year, I taught students of Kindergarten as well as Classes 1 and 2. Since I did not know
Bengali, I would try communicating through sign language, drawings and often take the help of my co-volunteers (who knew Bengali). Since the beginning of my second year and after 1st years were involved (all of whom knew Bengali), I have been involved in teaching Maths and English for the students of Grade 4 mostly because they understand a little bit of Hindi and communication is less difficult. I helped them in learning spoken English, by teaching them to speak a few basic and essential sentences as well as to give their introduction.

Along with two other volunteers, I helped the Principal in his preparation for an English exam in which my role was to understand and communicate the meaning of Shakespeare poems to my friends who then translated it in Bengali.

We have been organizing small competitions from time to time and also distributing prizes, books, stationery, chocolates, etc. as incentives to encourage studying. We conducted a minor Sports Meet on 17th March, 2012 in which races of various kinds were held and prizes were awarded. We encouraged and guided students to perform during the Scholarship distribution ceremony last semester, and thus a few girls danced and the remaining recited poems. I have been appointed as one of the Group Leaders since the beginning of first year and I have been assisting in the coordination the entire group.

My future NSS plans: I will definitely visit the school where I worked whenever possible to learn more about their requirements and the progress in students. I hope to be actively involved in teaching school children, preferably belonging to a Hindi medium school as it’s easier and more efficient from my point of view. In those schools where the teachers are not fluent in English (for example Kasturba Gandhi Memorial Trust School), I would like to help them in improving their spoken English.

Shubham Kumar (Literacy Group; Program Officer : Dr. P. Guha)

My name is Shubham Kumar, a second year student of the Department of Mining Engineering, I.I.T. Kharagpur and a native of dhanbad and an NSS volunteer since my arrival in the campus in first year. Few years ago, I didn’t know anything about NSS, even never heard about it. I just got the form for getting registered in NSS, but later on when I get completely involved in NSS through “Literacy Improvement Group” which provides free coaching to the students who can’t afford the good quality education under the guidance of Prof. P.Guha, then I realise the noble work being done by the students of IIT with the help of the professors (program officer). Even now, whenever I get free time, I devote myself for NSS. I have attended the first year NSS camp in Gholghoria village which gave the perfect representation of a village to be developed.
First year had already taken my 50% time to dedicate myself toward this giving coaching to 2 to 3 students, but in 2nd year, when my program officer told me to hold the post of Group Leader of the whole unit, then I realized whether I really deserve to be on this position or not. Then, I finally took a promise to myself to really do whatever should be done to improve the literacy of the people living in and around the campus. I collected about 10 unpriviledged students in telugu basti and took classes for one semester. Then I decided if I can take classes for more than 10 students together and give them better education. So, I talked to the general secretary of the Gopali Youth Welfare Society (an NGO in gopali) and then started taking classes of the students of Jagriti Vidya Mandir, a school run by the society, so that, they can learn the things which are not taught in the classes as the school run only for 3 hrs. which is not enough to provide the proper education to them. I also involved some of the first years volunteers there to continue this for as much as possible, so that in future (when I left the institute) the students of the school would not be left without tuition classes after some period.
As, my time is going to be over being in NSS and my interest in doing social work in really increasing, so I have joined the Gopali Youth Welfare Society to be connected with the people in need, and do help whatever I can from my side.  That’s how, I am doing and will do the social service and remain involved in it till the end of my life.  
Sanket Sagar Dash (Village : Gholgharia; Program Officer : Dr. Manab K. Das)
My journey with NSS started in my first year in IIT Kharagpur (2010-11). It is a part of our institute curriculum for first two years. Though it started as a compulsory venture, it slowly transformed into a beautiful journey where I experienced the realities of life, the village life, and their living conditions. Then I went through a series of experiences with different village people, interacting with them, living their life for some time and felt a lot need to be done. My various activities are enlisted below.
1st Year:
Being assigned a village called Gholghoria under Prof Chandan Chakraborty, I was part of a team of around 10 students including 2 second years who guided us throughout the year with their experience. We surveyed the entire village Gholghoria regarding the school conditions (students, teachers etc), the food quality available there, the condition of village roads (maintenance and repairing).I got the chance to interact with villagers feeling their pain, sorrow and desperation of such poor living condition. We made an effort and took extra classes for the school students. This was a beginning and we then planned to construct tube wells inside the village through donations from seniors. Though the project remained unfulfilled we hoped it helped the village people mentally as they felt that there are the youths caring for them. I finally made a lasting impact on the village through the NSS Camp where we, in a group, planted around 300 trees along the roadside making it add to the scenic beauty and surroundings, making the villagers feel that it is their duty to maintain the environment for their benefits and healthy living. We also distributed scholarships to the school students regularly to make them feel motivated towards studies. This interaction with village people and life imbibed in determination and dedication towards our society which needs us.
2nd Year:
I continued in my second year in the village Gholghoria but under Prof Manab Kumar Das, who was very instrumental in supporting and guiding us. I was assigned the task of Beautification of Village. With a team of 10 volunteers we started off with the school premises. In the school backyard, I planned a garden where many small saplings and seasonal flowers can be planted adding to the beauty and making school students feel it as their own and take care of. The idea was successful and within the next few months we made it possible by planting around 50 saplings after thorough cleaning and leveling the soil. With the help of the school teacher and staff I ensured regular watering of the plants through them and inspiring the students to do so. Slowly the school students joined in and now we have many plants grown to sufficient height that they can become trees in near future providing shade to the school and its premises. It was a welcome response from the school students and inspired me to further take up another project of constructing a new fence in front of the school. I personally contacted and ensured that the fenced structure for plants and flowers was made ready within a month. We have till now planted around 35 saplings this year also and seeing the positive response would like to carry out further. Now the school students enjoy the plants and flowers in the backyard and are actively participating in plantation and watering work both. Now I feel finally our initiative to imbibe the feeling of belongingness among school students for their surroundings has paid off and this noble work started can be transferred from them to their parents and to the entire village in some work field or the other.

Experience and Conclusion:
After almost completing two years with the village and the primary school I feel nostalgic to leave them, but I will definitely try to keep in touch with this school and village through my program officer and make some visits to guide the NSS volunteers there. Every passion for social activity comes from within but there is an ignition necessary as is said “Success in 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration”, I thank the NSS IIT Kharagpur for providing me the inspiration and guiding me in my journey of two years for social welfare. I hope this is just the beginning and I get ample opportunities in future to serve our society and nation. 
 

Comments