StudentSpeak : Part II

Rohit Saraf (Village : Rangametia; Program Officer : Dr. Saumen Hajra)


I am from group A of Prof.  Saumen Hajra Group. This group is purely responsible for teaching senior students in the village Rangametia.  In the 3rd semester when I started as a group leader, I interacted with the 1st years and the 2nd years and we all started to teach the village girls. Initially, the numbers of students were less, but afterwards we managed to increase the number to 8 senior students.  Actually One Saturday I along with Prof.S Hajra visited the village and started finding students. We found 7 to 8 students of class VIII, who assured us that they would come from next Saturday. I taught them English and my friends taught
them Maths and Sciences. We made a good contact person in the village, Sri Dukh Ram whom I used to call every Saturday before going to school so that he can open the school. We created a good relation among the students and they were very positive from being taught by us.

Coming to this Semester, We started from 2nd  week and continued our teaching. We also went on the 28
th Jan (Kshitij, technical fest at IITKGP, week). However my volunteers told me not to go in Spring Fest week. So we didn’t go that week. In this Semester, I conducted a test among them in English. I also
awarded the topper a Prize (Instrument Box) containing Pen. The money was not solely given by me , It was shared by all of us. These days the village students are having exams in their schools, so they are preparing for that. So, on the 1st  day of Caste Certificate Camp, it was me and some more who were active and timely in distributing forms with B.D.O. (Block Development Officer) officials. I haven’t missed any meeting or any NSS working day if was not having any urgent work or I was not in IIT KGP.

Puja Gorai (Village : Sonamukhi; Program Officer : Dr. Abraham George)


In the first semester we took care of the BC Roy park. We also tried taking care of the B C Roy Hall of residence, but we weren’t granted permission for the same. Later half of the semester we observed a ‘Plastic Free day’, in which we distributed paper bags to the shopkeepers in Tech Market and motivated them to use Paper bags rather than Plastic Bags.

In my second year we were allotted the Hindi Primary School in Sonamukhi village. There I taught the children. Also guided them to present a group song on the occasion of Annual NSS day celebration. I also hosted the NSS Day programme and coordinated the whole event. Also was part of the ‘Tree Plantation Programme’ carried by our group.

This semester we have been allotted the Ambedkar School. I have taught the students there on regular basis. We have also conducted a Drawing competition there. 

Being a Bengali and knowing the language of the land, acted as a translator wherever necessary. (Be it with the villagers or be it with the shopkeepers or the school authorities). I was the main interviewer in the ‘No Plastic Campaign’ which was broadcasted by a Bengali News channel. Also spoke to the authorities oh the Tech Market, about banning the use of Plastic bags, which brought fruitful results. Was also an enthusiastic participant in the various rallies conducted by NSS, IIT Kharagpur.

I personally did not get a chance to teach children individually, but taught children in their school. (Hindi Primary School in Sonamukhi and Ambedkar Primary School). I prepared a poster which showed a cross on plastic bag and a tick on paper bag, inspiring people to use paper bags. Also made another poster which said: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. Also another poster saying: ‘Carry a bag and say no to poly bags.’

Also as aked by Prof. G Saha about how I plan to serve the society in near future, I would like to inform that I visit Disha Sima Centre on regular basis and spend time with the kids there. I have organised for a movie show in Netaji Auditorium for them. Also have organised fun games for them. Also back home I have taught my maid’s kids and plan to continue the same whenever I find time. Also if God permits, in future I plan to help an Orphanage with all my support.

Ayan Acharya (Village : Ayodhyagarh; Program Officer : Dr. Rajiv Kumar Rawat)

As an NSS volunteer, I have always tried to abide by the NSS motto “Not me but You”. I have been the group leader of one group and I lead my group to the village Ayodhyagarh as regularly as possible. In our 1st year, when our only activity was involving the school, we organised a drawing competition in the school, the drawings of which were displayed in our last NSS Day program. Being the group leader, I had taken the major responsibility in arranging the gifts for the best entries for my school. I had led a survey among the school students’ families to select 2 students for the Prerna Scholarship for the previous year, which has been done this year through a test. I had built a nice relationship with the school students and teachers, as an example of which, I can cite that after last year’s NSS Day program was over I had given a lift to the school teacher, on my cycle till Prem Bazaar gate. I ensured the regular distribution of the scholarship amount to the students every month by timely contacting the concerned seniors. During the NSS Camp last year I and one other of my group mates had stayed up whole night making all the posters of our group, which had earned a lot of appreciation. In cases of urgent needs like delivering invitation cards for NSS programs, at times I had to go to the village all by myself. I had taken up responsibilities of the soft boards and the posters to be put up there, during the last NSS program, which I had carried out efficiently, even in absence of my Program Officer. I had been a part of the team that had visited SDO Office, Dantan and had prepared a bullet point note of the entire day’s proceedings which came useful later. I am continuing my diligent service towards NSS this semester too through scholarship distribution, old clothes distribution, etc. I had also led my team in a census survey made last semester.

The motivation and good feeling that I have earned by serving the community through NSS during these years, has encouraged me to continue my service towards the community in whatever way possible. If possible, I would also like to remain associated with NSS and offer my help in organising events like the NSS Day or any workshops in the villages, where my junior volunteers might require the help of an ex-NSS volunteer.





Comments