StudentSpeak : Part I

ABHISEK DATTA (Talbagicha Village Unit : Program Officer: Dr. R S Chakraborty)

As a NSS volunteer I have taught physics to students of class X at the Talbagicha High School. I had also prepared question sets in physics, chemistry and mathematics, made 25 copies of them each and distributed it among them.

In future, I would like to find out poor people and workers like rickshaw pullers and others in our campus and hostels who can’t send their children to school due to economic hardships. I want to arrange for the education of these children in the nearby local schools and I have also organized a fund between some of my friends here to cover the required expenses.

I also want to be a part of the group which provides the money for the PRERANA scholarships for the students from the village schools.

SHABAHAT SHAKEEL   
(Ayma Village Unit : Program Officer: Dr. N. D. Pradeep Singh)
The venue of my work was Chhattisgarh Hiigh School. 
I Taught the students subjects like English, Mathematics along with G.K.
I helped the students to improve English through reading and pronunciation sessions.

I would like to continue with my work by visiting the school as frequently as possible.

Kanjakha Pal (Balarampur Village Unit : Dr. Prabodh Bajpai)

I have been a member of N.S.S. from the second semester and my tenure as a volunteer in N.S.S. has left an indelible mark on me and have left behind memories I will cherish for days to come. In the second semester I was a volunteer of Professor Abraham George’s unit and I was an active participant in the drive against use of environment polluting materials like polyethylene and advocated the use of environment friendly products like jute, etc.

 The next two semesters I have been working as a volunteer in Professor Prabodh Bajpai’s unit. Our group was subdivided into 3 subgroups-Teaching, Mapping and Youth awareness. I was delighted to be a part of the Teaching group because I was able to help many poor students in the village in improving their education and also I was able to live a dream I had cherished for a long time-teach the underprivileged. In the beginning since I was a second year student I, along with other second year students helped the first year students to acclimatize with the environment. Since language was a barrier in our quest, the entire Teaching Group was divided into small subgroups and allotted to students according to the ability of students to communicate in Hindi, English or only Bengali. From a modest start we have now reached a position where we run a full fledged coaching class for students of Balarampur on Saturdays. I am also the Reporting Leader of my group. From the start of the semester I keep track of the activities going on in all the subgroups in our unit and I make a monthly report describing all the activities of our group and the final report is dispatched to the N.S.S. Central Team for publication. We had conducted a Quiz Test at Balarampur High School where the meritorious candidates were selected on basis of their quiz performance. I was nominated to accompany Professor Goutam Saha to the Annual Prize Distribution Day of Balarampur High School where the prizes were distributed and the entire proceedings were documented in the Annual Report of our group. A football match was played between the members of Kasba Sangha and students of our group and I took the chance to collect statistical information about the members of the club and their day to day activities and hear about their problems. Talks are going on with the school authorities to hold classes in Balarampur High School after their school hours from the next session. Although teaching is my passion I am happy I have been able to work in all the subunits of my group in varying capacities and I feel this has contributed a lot to my overall personality development and the activity has brought me a lot of joy and satisfaction.

I also plan to engage myself in voluntary community activities for the rest of my life wherever I will be. I have observed over  my period of work as N.S.S. Volunteer that there is shortage of human manpower and even if a handful few could take some time off from their busy schedule and think of some involvement in community  activities the entire community would benefit immensely. 


Comments